in 2021, Kaitlin Koehler, International Directions Advisor at the Language Institute, created a short informative video series to provide LCTL Career Fair participants with tips for next steps on how to prepare for professional development and career opportunities.
Video 1: Introduction (to series)
Video 2: Networking
- Article: Virtual Networking Tips
- Professional Associations/Organizations
- Formal: Paid Memberships
- Informal: LinkedIn Groups or Facebook Groups
- LinkedIn UW-Madison Page or find your alma mater/current institution’s page through the search feature
Video 3: Application Materials
- NCSSFL-ACTFL “Can Do Statements”
- Your Resume: International Experience
Your Resume: Language Proficiency
- Personal Branding
Video 4: Job/Internship Search
- Job Center of Wisconsin (investigate resources in your state)
- Popular platforms for non-profit/gov work:
- Apply & Interview (More resources here!)
- What can I do with this major?
For UW-Madison students: in Fall 2021, Kaitlin Koehler and Toni Landis will be teaching African 275: Lead with Languages: Putting Language Skills to Work in which students learn ways to leverage their language skills to maximize potential employment opportunities.