2021 Less Commonly Taught Languages Career Fair
Program Agenda for Friday, July 23, 2021
1:30-4:00 p.m. CDT
Program events are listed in Central Daylight Time. To calculate the time in your time zone, you may wish to use a time zone converter tool.
Not signed up? You can still register as an attendee to receive the Zoom link to join the event.
1:30 – 2:30 p.m. CDT: Welcome, Keynote Address and Keynote Speaker Q&A
- Felecia Lucht, Director, Wisconsin Intensive Summer Language Institutes (WISLI), UW-Madison
- Laura Hammond, Director, Language Program Office (LPO), UW-Madison
- Csanád Siklós, Associate Director, Institute for Regional and International Studies National Resource Center (IRIS-NRC), UW-Madison
- Keynote Address: Sachin Tuli, Director, International Business Major and Faculty Associate, International Business and Marketing, UW-Madison
- Keynote Q&A Discussion. Submit your questions via Zoom chat.
2:30-4:00 p.m. CDT: Panel Sessions
Attendees will choose which panel they would like to attend, but recordings of all three panels will be available after the event.
Panel Session 1 – Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages in the Government
- Jeff Cary, Outreach & Recruitment Manager, Boren Awards & Caitlin Wiley, Program Officer National Security Education Program (NSEP) Defense Language and National Security Education Office
- Abigail Barnes, Recruitment Analyst, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs & Bureau of Global Talent Management & Ron Packowitz Diplomat in Residence (DIR) – Midwest
- Joemer A. Ta-ala, Assistant Provost, ETD, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)
- Panel 1 Q&A Discussion. Submit your questions via Zoom chat.
Panel Session 2 – Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages in the Private Sector
- Shelley Fairweather-Vega, Russian and Uzbek Translator
- Anja Green, Content Development Manager, Mango Languages
- Michael Harris, Epic
- Panel 2 Q&A Discussion. Submit your questions via Zoom chat.
Panel Session 3 – Professional Development Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages
- Kaveri Advani, Program Manager, The Language Flagship, Defense Language and National Security Education Office (DLNSEO)
- Brian Cooke, Program Officer, Project GO & Language Training Centers, Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Katie Jost, Program Director, Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC)
- Mark Lilleleht, Assistant Director for Awards, Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS) at UW-Madison
- Panel 3 Q&A Discussion. Submit your questions via Zoom chat.