Program Agenda for Friday, July 17, 2020
1:30-4:45 p.m. CDT
Program events are listed in Central Daylight Time. To calculate the time in your time zone, you may wish to use a time zone converter tool.
This is a virtual event. For access to the WebEx link to join the event live and participate in chat, please register as an attendee. There is no cost for registration. This event will also be livestreamed and the link will be made available on this page.
1:30-2:30 p.m. CDT: Welcome, Keynote Address and Keynote Speaker Q&A
- Laura Hammond, Director, UW Language Program Office and Administrative Director, South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI)
Guido Podestá, Vice Provost and Dean, International Division
- Lesley Bartlett, Faculty Director, Institute for Regional and International Studies International Division (IRIS)
- Keynote Address: Cheryl Gibbs, Senior Director, International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE), U.S. Department of Education
2:30-3:00 p.m. CDT: Panel Session 1 – Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages in the Government
- Hilary Robertson Collado, Assistant Director, Boren Awards, Institute of International Education (IIE) & Aleia Maculam, Program Officer, National Security Education Program (NSEP), Department of Defense
- Joemer A. Ta-ala, Assistant Provost, ETD, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)
- Abigail Barnes, Recruitment Analyst, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs & Bureau of Global Talent Management & Ron Packowitz Diplomat in Residence (DIR) – Midwest
3:00-3:30 p.m. CDT: Panel Session 2 – Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages in the Private Sector
- Anne O. Fisher, Senior Lecturer, Translation and Interpreting Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Anja Green, Content Development Manager, Mango Languages
- Janelle Hawk, Translation Team, Epic
3:30-4:15 p.m.: CDT Panel Session 3 – Professional Development Opportunities for Speakers of Less Commonly Taught Languages
- Kaveri Advani, Program Manager, The Language Flagship, National Security Education Program (NSEP) & Brian Cooke, Program Officer, Project GO & Language Training Centers, Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Katie Jost, Program Director, Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC)
- Mark Lilleleht, Assistant Director for Awards, Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS) at UW-Madison
- Julie E. Taylor, Director of Academic Relations for Fulbright Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Addisu Hodes, Project Manager, Government Contracts and Rula Malky, Training and Certification Specialist, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
4:15-4:45 p.m.: Closing Discussion Session – Question and Answers
In addition to the live event, there will also be an opportunity to learn about career and professional development opportunities by visiting our Virtual Exhibitors Directory, where employers and organizations will have information available for those interested in exploring career options for speakers of less commonly taught languages, and professional development opportunities for learners of less commonly taught languages.
Any changes to the program will be posted on this page and announced at the start of the live event.